Sunday 2 February 2014

Reflection On The Week (18): Starting Monday 27th January

Week Summary
Reflection on Practice - Writing a focus group plan this week has helped me to figure out how I might structure and carry one out. Now I just need to actually organize the focus group. Still need to figure out exactly what questions I need to ask in order to find out the answers I need so that I have the right information to use in my final paper. Before I start putting together my list of questions however, I need to finalize my research question, this week I have been trying to do this and next week I should have the final research question.

Advanced Production - Putting the rough storyboard into an animatic has helped to get an overall view of the timing and flow of the film so far. Working on the final storyboards this week, in order to produce a more finished-looking 2D animatic next week.

Going Live - Done some more research and started character concept designs for the main assets of the project. Character concepts will be reviewed next week.


Monday 27th Jan
Very quick Programme Meeting today.

Put our rough storyboard post-its into a timed movie to see what the overall rough timing would be:
When it gets to actual animating the characters, shots always seem to become longer (pauses are added etc) but glad it hasn't turned out too long!

Tuesday 28th Jan
Spent the day writing my Focus Group plan for the Reflection On Practice module.

Wednesday 29th Jan
Jeanette talked to us today about carrying out interviews and focus groups. Our next assignment is plan and carry out an interview or focus group. I think the one that would benefit my research best is the focus group.
A general piece of advice for us was to constantly remind myself about what I want to find out from my research and question, to keep my work focused and relevant.
Under my question write:
The reason for this question is to understand how...
...to best inform me which way is best...

Visited an article on a website called www.unconsciousanimation.com
Tried to use it to help re-word my research question: Click here for relevant blog post link

Thursday 30th Jan
Went to the library today and found a book which is proving useful for my main film project (for the designs of the dog character) and useful for research for the Reflection on Practice module:

Going Live Meeting with Phil:
We are to start producing the assets straight away.
We are to hold off uploading going live work to personal blogs until the project is finished.
All the work could be put into a pdf doc. style bible to make the work presentable.
- Our personal projects may take a hit this semester, try to schedule it into the week, and keep coming together as a team!

Going Live Class Meeting:
Discussed who is working on each thing.
I will be working on some 2D concept sketches for the assets. Will review them with the class next early week.
Keep all the naming of Maya files neat and organised!
Discussed how the models and textures might look.
Also went over the production bible pdf.

Team Meeting:
Decided the storyboards need to be done for Monday, so the 2D animatic can be created then.
Also we are each to look up reference material for moodboards, and we will collate everything together on Monday, as well as a production schedule.

Friday 31st Jan
3D Nuke Tracking Workshop with Jin:
2D Tracking: for rotoscopes/clean plates (to patch)
3D Tracking: used for obtaining a virtual camera (to seamlessly insert CG elements)
Step One: Taking off Lens Distortion!
Then: Rotoscope out reflections, movements etc to clean plate. Then do tracking.

Weekend
Finished drawing out my part of the storyboard for main project. Drew it on an animation app on my iPad which was quick and simple to use. I then took my drawings into a storyboarding program called Shotbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment